My self challenge was to create a cute Easter basket and grass largely using recycled materials. What do you think?
1. To make the basket, I deconstructed the paper bags so that they laid flat.
2. I cut the paper bags into long 2″ wide strips. I folded the edges of the strips over and used my sewing machine to secure them with a straight stitch in gold thread.
3. I wove 8 strips of paper together to create the bottom of basket.
4. I secured the strips of paper using a hot glue gun on the corners.
6. I wove two strips of paper through existing vertical strips to create the sides. I held the strips in place while I was weaving with binder clips and secured the end of each piece using a hot glue gun.
7. I cut the vertical strips about 2 inches above my last horizontal strip.
9. I glued a strip on two sides of the basket to form the handle. My final basket was approximately 6″ x 6″ x 2 1/2″.
- 2 Brown paper grocery bags
- Gold thread
- Yard stick
- Sewing machine
- Hot glue gun and glue
- 1 Gardening catalog
- Paper shredder