These boxes are made from real eggs!
I wanted to make some egg boxes for Easter, but there were no pre-made egg boxes or water balloons (to use as papier-mâché forms) to be found in my neighborhood. I had almost given up on egg shaped boxes when I stumbled upon an egg box project, using real eggs, on the Martha Stewart website. The timing was perfect – I even had some eggs in the fridge that were past their expiration date. (Cleaning out the fridge is on my list of things to do.)
1. First, I cut the tissue paper into strips. I stacked a number of layers of tissue paper and then cut them as if I was creating a fringe. I then cut the fringe into short strips.
2. I used a paint brush dipped in glue to pick up strips of tissue paper, one by one, and placed them on the egg. I then “painted” each strip with glue.
I worked in batches. I did five or six layers of tissue paper (laid down randomly) and then let the egg dry before repeating. I found that I could identify the spots that didn’t have as much paper by the color – the spots with less paper were lighter. In all, I used about 15-20 layers of tissue paper on the eggs, although if I was doing this again I would probably use a few more as the papier-mâché was a bit weak in parts.
3. After the papier-mâché was finished and had dried, while holding my breath, I very carefully cut the egg in half with a steak knife using a sawing motion.
4. I scraped out the inside of the eggs, including the membrane, and discarded them, leaving the egg shell and the papier-mâché. (By this time the egg had been out of the fridge for almost an entire day, so I wiped down the egg shell with a bleach wipe and washed my hands thoroughly after discarding the egg insides. At this point I couldn’t find my sandpaper (cleaning up my craft area is on my list of things to do after I finish with the fridge) and my eggs were pretty smooth, so I skipped the sanding.
5. I spray painted the inside of the eggs with two coats of gold spray paint and one coat of acrylic gloss, letting them dry between each coat. I also, spray painted both sides of a 3” x 11” strip of card stock.
6. I painted the outside of the eggs (the papier-mâché part) with acrylic paint in the color that I wanted to flock the eggs in.
I love short cuts and I originally tried to skip painting the eggs and to go straight to flocking. I am not sure if it was my poor flocking skills, my choice of color (grey), or both, but my first egg did not look subdued and luxurious like I envisioned. It looked like a dead mouse. Eck! As that is not exactly what you want to find in your basket on Easter Sunday, I gently rinsed the egg off under cool water. After letting it dry for a bit and then re-coating it with glue, I was able to rescue and repaint it.
7. Once the paint was dry, I painted the eggs in glue and sprinkled them with flocking powder.
To quote one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books “I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them . . .” Only in this case, I like the green eggs.
8. I cut a thin strip from the card stock and made a loop, which I hot glued into one side of the split egg shell.
- Hard boiled eggs
- White glue
- Hot glue gun and glue
- White tissue paper
- Spray paint (gold)
- Acrylic sealant
- Acrylic paint
- Flocking powder (
grey, blue, green and yellow)
- Card stock
- A steak knife
- Vintage clip-on earrings with the backs removed