I hope everyone had a good weekend. On Friday, I flew to New York to co-host two good friends’ baby shower. I am so excited for them and had so much fun celebrating with them. I had enthusiastically volunteered to make the decorations for the shower and now that it is over I wanted to share some pictures of the decorations with you.
Using a variety of colors that coordinated with those in the napkins (blues, greens, and yellows) made it easier for me to find coordinating items. I already had some plastic serving bowls from Target that I bought a few years ago that coordinated with the napkin colors so we used those as well.
It was a co-ed book-themed baby shower and initially I thought that I would cut up some used children’s books to make the decorations. It turned out that I didn’t have the heart to cut up children’s books so I went back to the drawing board and decided to base the decorations around the alphabet instead. (Only two book were used in the making of these decorations–dictionaries from the Dollar Tree.) I used the book pages along with blue, green, and yellow paint chips to make most of the shower decorations, including the bookmarks below.
For each bookmark, I used two paint chips. With my paper cutter, I cut the paint chips into 1.5 inch strips, making sure to cut off the paint names.
I printed the alphabet on a piece of 8.5″ x 11″ paper in 92 point Times New Roman outline font. For each bookmark, I placed a paint chip strip on top of a piece of carbon paper, with the carbon side of the carbon paper against the non-colored side/back of the paint chip. I placed the printed alphabet sheet on top of the paint chip and centered one of the printed letters on the card.
I made a small hole near the top of the bookmark with a craft knife and pushed an eyelet through the hole. I then followed the directions on the eyelet package to set the eyelets. Once the eyelets were set, I placed the bookmark on top of the dictionary that I was using for paper and hammered the back of the eyelet to further flatten it.
I cut three pieces of ribbon, each twice the length of the bookmark. I slipped the ribbons through the eyelet and knotted the ribbon. Over a sink of water, I very carefully melted the ends of the ribbons over a flame to keep them from fraying.
- Paint chips (two per a bookmark)
- Eyelet (one per a bookmark) and setting tools
- Carbon paper
- Paper cutter
- Embossing tool
- Glue stick
- Printed alphabet template